Visa som: Mobil

FAQs regarding Upper secondary school

10 Frequently Asked Questions regarding Upper secondary school

1. What are the requirements for my desired Upper secondary school programme?

To be accepted to a national programme, regardless of whether it is a vocational programme or a university entrance programme, you need a passable grade in Swedish or Swedish as a second language, English and mathematics.

For the vocational programme you need a passable grade in an additional five subjects, meaning eight subjects in total.

For the university entrance programme you need a passable grade in an additional nine subjects, totalling in twelve subjects. For the economics-, history- and social sciences programmes, four of the nine additional passed subjects need to be geography, history, social sciences, and religious studies. For the natural sciences- and engineering & technology programmes, three of the nine passed subjects need to be biology, physics, and chemistry. For the aesthetics programme the nine additional passed subjects are elective. Some of the education within the aesthetics field, leading edge education, and physical education programmes, may have specific entrance requirements and sometimes tests. 

2. How do I switch programmes?

To be able to switch programmes, open spaces need to be available at the programme you want to switch to. The principal is happy to help you make the switch, but has no obligation to let you do so if there is no available spot. If there are no available spots at the programme you wish to attend, you can apply for the programme by the next upper secondary school selection. In that case you will apply with your final grades from secondary school. 

3. What are my career options after Upper secondary school?

It might be a good idea to think about whether you want to attend a university entrance programme or a vocational programme. Start by thinking about what you find interesting and fun. Do you see yourself working with something in particular in the future, or do you have no idea? You can search for different subjects and programmes in the free text search on, as well as find more information about different work or study opportunities after your upper secondary school programme. You can always contact the guidance counselor at your school who can help you answer any questions you might have.

4. How is the admission score decided?

The admission score depends on how many applicants the different programmes have for a certain semester, for example the fall semester of 2015. Because of this you can never predict what the admission score a certain year is going to be. If a certain programme at a certain school usually has a high admission score, and it is still popular, chances are the admission score will land somewhere in that area the next academic year as well. 

Do I have to redo the academic year if I fail one or more subjects at upper secondary school?

Redoing a class at Upper secondary school

The principal has the right to decide whether or not you get to redo a class you have failed. In special circumstances you may get to redo the class a third time in order to pass. In order to redo a class, the principal has to see that you are having difficulty following the teaching. Your school is not obligated to let you redo a class you have already passed.

Redoing an academic year at Upper secondary school

If you have failed several subjects during one academic year the principal may decide that you have to redo the entire academic year. In that case you will have to redo all classes, including the ones you have already passed. If you receive two grades in the same subject, the highest grade will appear in your final grade. Same as before, the principal has to see that you have difficulty following the teaching in order for you to redo the academic year.

6. I live abroad but want to attend a Swedish Upper secondary school. How do I apply?

If you have attended primary school or parts of Upper secondary school abroad, and want to switch to a Swedish upper secondary school, you should make sure you have the proper entry requirements. The entry requirements will differ depending on what you studied abroad. To be accepted for final admissions to an education, with foreign grades, you need to have a passable grade in Swedish, Swedish as a second language (Swedish is not required for IB programmes), English, and mathematics. You also need the specific knowledge requirements for the programme you applied to. The most important thing to have in mind is to have plenty of time to contact your current school as well as the school you want to attend in Sweden. Click here to read more about attending upper secondary school in Sweden (in Swedish).

7. What does the preliminary admissions decision mean?

Preliminary admission to Upper secondary school

A preliminary admission to upper secondary school is made in the middle of April, based on the final grade of the fall semester in secondary school. The meaning of preliminary admission is that it is preparatory and does not guarantee you a spot at your chosen upper secondary school programme. 

Final admission to Upper secondary school

When it is time for the final admission to upper secondary school, the admission will be based on the final grade from secondary school. In the beginning of July, the final admission will be sent to your home address. This also applies to students who have not been admitted. Carefully read through the information you have been sent before it is time to reply through the web for your municipal upper secondary school admission. 

When you have responded online, you have to print your response, get your guardian's signature, and then mail it in or hand it over to your guidance counsellor. If you have not received a final decision by the second week of July, you have to contact the upper secondary school admission in your municipality. 

8. Why do I have to rank the schools in my application?

You need to rank the education programs in your application, so that the school you would like to attend the most is at the top, the school you would like to attend the second most is next, and so on. If you get admitted to an education with a high rank, your name will automatically be withdrawn from the lower ranking schools in your application. This is why it is important to rank your choices correctly. 

9. How do I apply if I have special needs, such as reading or writing difficulties?

For example, a person with dyslexia will be in need of support and appropriate adaptation. For that reason, schools may need to present individual syllabuses. Reading and writing disabilities cannot be cured, however the ability to read and write improves step-by-step through reading books and listening to audio books.

Many upper secondary schools have remedial teachers and pedagogues who help students with dyslexia. For example, some schools have writing studios and special resources, others have separate classes for students with dyslexia. Contact the school that you are interested in the most, and explain what kind of help you need and ask if they have special tools and remedial teachers. The separate dyslexia classes are very few, however a bigger number of schools have made available special dyslexia units.

10. Can I live by myself while I study at Upper secondary school?

Since you are a minor, your parents hold the responsibility for you until your 18th birthday. With their permission you can live by yourself, but your parents need to sign all your agreements. Your parents are obligated to provide for you until your 18th birthday. If you are still attending school after you are 18, your parents are obligated to provide for you during your attendance at school, however not after your 21st birthday. Attendance at school includes studies in secondary school, upper secondary school or other equivalent basic education.

If you move out from your parental home to attend upper secondary school in another city and in case the education program you desire is not in your domicile, you may receive lodging allowance. How much you receive depends on how far your school is from your parental home. If you wish to attend a private school, a folk high school or national boarding school, you should apply for student finance at The Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN). If you are going to attend a municipal upper secondary school you should apply for finance at your local authority.

Do you have other questions?

Ask our guidance counsellor (in Swedish) Discuss in our forum (in Swedish)

Gå till den här sidan på svenska

View this page in Arabic اذهب إلى هذه الصفحة باللغة العربية

Senast uppdaterad: 21 aug 2019

Du kanske också är intresserad av:

Senast uppdaterad: 2019-09-17

Higher Education Requirements and Qualification Points

Here you can read about the requirements for higher education admissions. You will be guided through the selection process and learn the difference between general prerequisites and subject prerequisites. You will also get some advice on how to choose the right upper secondary school program, to increase your chances of going to your dream university.

Läs mer
Senast uppdaterad: 2019-08-21

Admission to upper secondary school

Preliminary admission to upper secondary school takes place in the middle of April. How the final admission is delivered is different depending on the admission office. Read more about admission to upper secondary school here.

Läs mer
Senast uppdaterad: 2019-09-10

Admission score at upper secondary school

When you apply to an upper secondary school and an upper secondary school programme, you do it based on your grades from secondary school. You need to be qualified to apply for a national or a specially designed upper secondary program, which means that you need to have a passable grade in Swedish or Swedish as a second language, mathematics and English.

Läs mer
Öppet hus-kalender
november 2019